UN Volunteer Job. Joining the UN as a volunteer is not only a noble action, it is also an opportunity to become a demanded specialist and to get an unforgettable experience. This practice usually changes people but they never regret it. The most active and stress-resistant volunteers get a good chance to continue working with the UN as employees.
To tell the truth, not everyone can get a UN volunteer job because of high requirements and competition; thus, such a practice is highly estimated by employers.
Who can become a UN volunteer?
Everybody who helps the UN reach its’ goals is to be able to contribute a lot of knowledge and experience to the mission. Besides, every volunteer has to share common UN principles of ethics, volunteerism, and diversity. You will have to work in a multicultural environment and maybe in difficult living conditions. The role most likely will require stress resistance and strong organizational and interpersonal skills. If you want to participate in international missions, you have to speak English, French, or Spanish language and to be 25 or more years old. Local missions require the volunteers to speak the local language and to be at least 18 years old.
How to get a UN volunteer job?
If you have weighed the pros and cons and made sure you meet the general requirements, proceed to apply for a volunteer job:
- First of all, you need to create a profile on UNV Global Talent Pool. This profile will contain all the necessary information about you, so there is no need to provide any additional documents. Enter all the required data in the “Register with us” form (You can register in English, French or Spanish by selecting the language in the header of the site) and click “Sign Up.”
- You will receive a no-reply email from the organization, within which you should confirm that you have requested the profile creation. After the confirmation, another email with a link to your profile will be sent to you.
- Open your profile by following the provided link and enter all the necessary information about your education, work experience, and qualification. Since it is not possible to upload your CV, text all the information that presents you as a good candidate for the UN volunteer job.
- Click “Submit My Profile.” It will trigger another automatic email with your registration number.
- Check available roles on unv.org. Open a vacancy that interests you, check the requirements, and click the green button “Apply.”
UN Volunteer Job may have not strict deadlines, so be ready to wait for a while to get the reply. As a rule, the period is from 1 to 3 months, but some posts require more time. First, the applicants will be selected based on the information from the profiles; after that, recruitment specialists will contact them to discuss further steps of the candidates’ selection.
The UN appreciates the applicants who have already participated in other volunteering activities. Thus, if your qualification does not currently meet the requirements for the desired post, consider trying yourself in other volunteer programs.